Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Nick and Sheila

SWAY - A LIFE OF ERRORS
chromogenic print, 2006
48 by 48 inches,
Edition of 5,
2 ap20 by 20 inches, Edition of 5. 2 ap



I attended my first Timeraiser this past Saturday at the Distillery District. It was quite honest one of the coolest events I have been to in a long time.Hosted in the fermenting cellar, it was full of beautiful people and beautiful food. The premise was to bid on art work from emerging and mid career artist. The bids,however, were not monetary but rather in number of volunteer hours pledged to contribute to various organizations in the coming year.

Recently, I have been very interested in the works of Nick and Sheila Pye, a Toronto based couple married,who graduated from OCAD. Their work deals with the toils of marriage and commitment and the boundaries we push with each other, and ourselves when in relationships. The work is mostly photographic and installation based and has been receiving a great deal of buzz as of late.

Amazingly, a piece tiled " A Life of Errors" was featured at the time raiser, and after a long biding war, I won. In 150 volunteer hours, over the next year, the piece will be proudly displayed in my home. What a way to start my art collection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. I hope Habitat for Humanity gets some of your volunteer time.

Matt & Alisa said...

Great stuff Sandra. I've never heard of a function like the one you went to. A really interesting concept. Congrats of your win and hope to see a few of those hours spent on the Vancouver eastside.