Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Great December





Everyone has a magic place. A place they hope to visit one day. A place they have built up to mythical proportions in their minds. A place that has become so over exploited in ones imaginations that it could not ever possibly live up to such a high expectation. For some it's a trek in the Amazon jungle, for overs a beach vacation in Thailand, and for other's still a historic view of Rome's ancient civilizations. For me this very place is New York.


New York is the mecca of art. The center of fashion and culture. It is where Kerri broke up with Big. It is where John Lennon was shot. It's where Ms. Piggy took a carriage ride with Kermit in Central Park.


I heart New York. The cold winter weekend we visited the city, was packed with so much excitment at every corner. Paul and I became unashamed tourist, but also got a chance to hang out with Warren, Kal, and Barbara (some of the greatest hosts eve), and even experienced a true New York house party. We shopped, walked, ate and got inspired. The details are crisp--the smells, the cold, and the energy New Yorkers seem to have. Truly an amazing vacation.


The trip to the MoMA was a 4 hour vacation with in a vacation. It's so cheesy to say, but I feel like I met so many of my personal heroes by walking through this incredible gallery of galleries. I could have spent the night sleeping in front of a Kiki Smith drawing.

We sometimes go through life in such a state of disconnect. New York made me feel a reconnect to world around me, and a level of being alive I have not felt in a while. Thank you New York for teasing me with your energy.

No comments: